I can’t really believe that it has been over 4 months since I last posted on my blog. I knew when I had a baby that I wouldn't be able to keep all the plates spinning, so the blog has been neglected in the second half of 2016, but I don’t really mind because I managed to keep my shop running, create new products AND do a craft fair since Reuben came along, and I am pretty proud of what I've managed to achieve. I have missed it though, so it's nice to be back even if it won't be as often.
I am not really into resolutions but when January rolls around I do like to take time to think about what I would like to achieve in the coming year. It gets me all excited and motivated which can only be a good thing. Quite often though things change and as the year goes by my priorities shift. I decided to look back at 2016’s goals and I didn’t really achieve that many of the things on my list, but actually it didn't bother me in the slightest - some of them seem silly to me now and I've realised that I've achieved other things that weren’t even on the list, so on reflection I am really happy with what I managed to get done (also let's be honest, when I made that list I had no idea what life with a baby would be like and what would be achievable).
So I thought it would be nice for my first post of 2017 to share with you what I'm dreaming of and working towards in 2017. There are some goals which I'm still mulling over and might be for 2018 rather than this year, but here are the main things I want to work towards. I am still looking after a baby full time so I'm fully aware that things might change, or not be possible but it's nice to have something to work towards because I definitely want to keep moving my business forward this year.
1. Wholesale - I have really enjoyed focusing a bit more on my shop, designing new products and also getting rid of some of the ones I didn't love so much anymore. I think the next step is wholesale. I have had a few more wholesale enquiries recently and I think it is something that I want to push forward with. My plan is to put together a wholesale catalogue in the first few months of the year to send out to people and see what happens. I am also toying with the idea of doing a trade fair this year or early next. I know it will be a lot of work and might not be feasible right now but I am going to work towards it.
2. Keep growing my instagram following - I have been loving instagram even more recently as since being on maternity leave I have tried to be more intentional and strategic with it. I am convinced it has been making a difference to my business, and I just love all the creative people that I have connected with on there. This won't sound amazingly impressive to most people but I managed to hit the 1k mark this year which had been an aim of mine, so in 2017 I would like to work towards hitting 3k followers. Saying that I don't want to get too bogged down with numbers and I want to keep enjoying it - but it helps me to stay motivated and inspired to have something to work towards.
3. My newsletter - it has been pretty sporadic of late but my subscriber list has been growing and so I want to do more behind the scenes, share more info and goodies for those subscribers in 2017. I have a template which I am happy with now so it is a case of carving out time to do it. With all of these things I think it's a case of coming up with realistic goals and so I am going to aim to be sending out a newsletter once a month.
4. The blog - As I mentioned before my blog has been a bit neglected recently. It is not something that I make money from, but I really enjoy it and I would like to keep up with it as a way to share news and information about my business and what is inspiring me creatively. Again I think the key will be to come up with a realistic goal, so I am going to aim to do one blog post a week, and then if I manage any more that will be a bonus.
5. Freelance work - I have had a total break from client work since R was born - which has been great and I know I wouldn't have been able to cope with the stress of deadlines with a newborn. I'm still not sure I am ready to start back up again but I would like to at some point this year (maybe when R's naps start getting a little bit more predictable and regular).
So there we go. My goals for 2017. I am totally expecting them to change over time but its nice to have them down in writing. I also have some personal goals, but there are pretty much the same as most years. Eat healthier, exercise more blah blah blah! ha
Anyway if you have your goals written out for this year would love to read them! Happy New Year and thank you so much for following along with my blog despite it being so sporadic of late!
The letterpress bookmark in the photo above was printed by the lovely Prickle Press.